Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rangoli Holi et al...

Well on 1st March we celebrated Holi,was a different experience I should say.When in Goa we only celebrate the traditional Carnival,with pomp and gaiety(thats how the slogan goes)...if you have been to Goa you would know what I mean.The Carnival is a pagan celebration,which gets along with it a lot of vices,which if one avoids,its a pleasant experience.
Just a little digression,the previous day,the Hindi Samiti at IISc organized 'Rangoli competition'.I always thought it was a simple task to put powder on the floor in such a way that it represents some familiar design,wasn't the case.However our motives for participating were not so noble towards creativity ...the truth was that a friend of my friend told my friend that there was just one participant enrolled,and hence if we reached the venue on time at least, the 2nd prize was assured.So we decided to team up,and rush to the venue,on the way we happily discussed the posibility of winning the first prize(since the 2nd was already in our kitty!!!).The scene was different at the venue,this guy had told so many people about the scarcity in participants that,everybody rushed to compete for the 2nd prize.They would not even let us participate.We finally got a chance to try our hands at it.The theme of our Rangoli was 'Reaserch at IISc',as you can see in the picture-it was 'music+coffee+nature=proofs of theorems'.We got a consolation prize,which was good enough,as compared to the 2nd prize.We were pretty pleased with our efforts,though they might not have got us the best results.Its fun to work as a team,and create something close to modern abstract art.As the prizes were bieng distributed,we were told that,having 'Rangoli' at ones doorstep,helps eclipse negative energies.And in general adds color to the household.It was a great experience,even though the 2nd prize was a disappointment.

Getting back to Holi at IISc,as I said before it was my first experience...and it was awesome,except for the fact that those jerks used dye to color people.Had to almost scrape my skin off to get rid of the color.
The fun began after lunch,was told that there was holi activity going on at the mess...I managed to get myself safely into the mess,with not a drop of color on me,I felt an air of jubilation at fact that I managed to get away from those 'coloring guys',however I could not manage to keep on to it for long.
That afternoon I was supposed to meet my guide(each student has to  work under a Prof,whom they call 'guide' or 'boss' outside private circles!!!),my meeting wasn't scheduled though,however was planning to tell him after lunch.As I was leaving the mess,there came this guy running after me,was pretty obvious what plans he had for me...so I started running too(This is one instant where jogging regularly helps!!!),I outran him,but then thought it was poor spirit to behave like this on a festive occasion like this,so I stopped waited for him and then told him politely why he should not color me...luckily the man had a heart(besides brains!!!),he believed me,and just to make up for the energy he spent in chasing me,wished me with his colored hands.So far so good.I go a little far,and then there comes another fellow,this one turned out to be a rascal...put color on me without any warning.Now I had some soul searching to do,I had two desires within me,one to chicken out,just wash my face and go and meet my guide,this did not seem exciting,the other more manly and gallant was to stay on and have my own victims of color!!!which I did!!!At the end my face was colored beyond recognition....we looked like creatures from Pandoras.I left midway(after satisfying myself that I had accomplished what I stayed back for),went to my room immediately,and scrubbed my face for 30 odd minutes to get the dye off me.
Then went and met my guide...and hence got both my desires fulfilled.
In all it was a wonderful experience.It is supposed to be The festival of colors.We sometimes get so lost in our daily chores,that we hardly realize how colorful life is,and occasions like these remind you about this fact.The energy you see in people who celebrate is awesome,its great fun.
If you missed it this time...don't worry,in the coming year bond with people who celebrate and you too can have a great time...a great time it is!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amita said...

Oh ho....... I miss those moments....suddenly remembered that u had on post on holi too; so decided to have a look at it and it made me nostalgic...

Amita said...

Oh ho....... I miss those moments....suddenly remembered that u had a post on holi too; so decided to have a look at it and it made me nostalgic...